I finished Flowers for Algernon today and it has brusquely and proudly brushed past my whole array of read-and-liked books to nab one of the top few spots because I really, really loved it.
I can't seem to stop buying, thumbing or browsing through books lately; an ESCAPISM MECHANISM - to runaway from the dreary grind of uni and the impending exams thats glaringly... near.
Ohwell, I was watching my all-time favourite Friends episode some days ago, the one where Rachel is rushing to Ross's wedding in London to tell Ross that she still loves him and when she arrives and sees him face to face, she stretches out her arms and says in that choked, effusive voice, "Ross! I just wanted to tell you... CONGRATULATIONS!" (or something along those lines) and for some reason, my heart went all out to Rachel.
Rachel, who mustered up so much courage and hope, only to have it die on her lips with a smile plastered over her face, doing the right thing.
And it just got me thinking what it would be like to throw ourselves out with abandon, to unleash the truth our emotions, to say exactly what we mean to say, exactly how we feel with every iota of our being.
It must be incredibly liberating but precarious at the same time to speak with such reckless abandon and I just wonder how it feels.
I guess as we grow up, we become aware of social perimeters, experience rears up the walls around us and our defense mechanism kicks in, and words flow from our mouth through a filter.
We grow layer after layer of unspoken thoughts and feelings and it grows so thick that we even forget what was at the bottom in the first place.
I guess that's why songwriters, poets, authors, musicians, artists and bloggers exist; to bring some tangible form to the string of emotions within us, the strings that will knot and tangle up inside if we don't let them out.
Sometimes I really feel like peeling people out.
Layer by layer until I get to the core.
That's why I like rose petals so much more than the rose itself; sweet delicate and fragile petals, so much more thoughtful and precious in it's vulnerable and precarious way :)
I can't seem to stop buying, thumbing or browsing through books lately; an ESCAPISM MECHANISM - to runaway from the dreary grind of uni and the impending exams thats glaringly... near.
Ohwell, I was watching my all-time favourite Friends episode some days ago, the one where Rachel is rushing to Ross's wedding in London to tell Ross that she still loves him and when she arrives and sees him face to face, she stretches out her arms and says in that choked, effusive voice, "Ross! I just wanted to tell you... CONGRATULATIONS!" (or something along those lines) and for some reason, my heart went all out to Rachel.
Rachel, who mustered up so much courage and hope, only to have it die on her lips with a smile plastered over her face, doing the right thing.
And it just got me thinking what it would be like to throw ourselves out with abandon, to unleash the truth our emotions, to say exactly what we mean to say, exactly how we feel with every iota of our being.
It must be incredibly liberating but precarious at the same time to speak with such reckless abandon and I just wonder how it feels.
I guess as we grow up, we become aware of social perimeters, experience rears up the walls around us and our defense mechanism kicks in, and words flow from our mouth through a filter.
We grow layer after layer of unspoken thoughts and feelings and it grows so thick that we even forget what was at the bottom in the first place.
I guess that's why songwriters, poets, authors, musicians, artists and bloggers exist; to bring some tangible form to the string of emotions within us, the strings that will knot and tangle up inside if we don't let them out.
Sometimes I really feel like peeling people out.
Layer by layer until I get to the core.
That's why I like rose petals so much more than the rose itself; sweet delicate and fragile petals, so much more thoughtful and precious in it's vulnerable and precarious way :)

2 Comments:
I stumbled upon your blog accidentally...but I just wanted to compliment you on your writing. It's nice to see someone who writes well without feeling the need to resort to bombastic words :)
Take care of yourself in Aussieland!
I read Flowers for Algernon during my sec 2 lit class, and I loved it! It's one of the best books I've read. It's so simple, yet says so much..
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home