one thing which I simply cannot understand is why lawyers/legal scholars/legal writers feel the need to express themselves in such complicated bombastic ways which forces ignorant, uncomprehending, noob first year law students like me to read and re-read and re-read a sentence again before we finally get the gist of what they're saying.
with the impending due date of my assignment, 20 plus background articles have been heaped upon me to read, ingest and analyse.
and they all look something like this
Mechanical jurisprudence was regarded as an antiquarian methodology geared to perpetuating the myth that legal reasoning was autonomous from the economy and political ideology.
firstly, what the heck is antiquarian?!
and I'm not quite sure what mechanical jurisprudence means but I'm assuming that is traditional legalism.
actually, the sentence on its own is semi-decent.
but when you have 200-odd pages worth of articles which all look similar to this, and the words all squished together in extremely long sentences, after a while everything sorta swims and switches around and suddenly all the words look replaceable for each other and all you want to do is go gaah!!! al;kdjfal;kdsj!!!!!!!! &*(6W7836!!!!!!! and maybe rip the papers apart with satisfaction.
during a background introduction lecture to the common law system, my lecturer said that the intention of a common law was so that people had a simple framework of rules and laws to abide by and to which they could settle disputes.
but he said that the irony of this is that with the aim to have a 'simple' framework of laws, it inevitably became complicated.
now, hoooow annoying is that?
I just hope that in the years to come, I don't get embroiled in the whole mishmash of pompous complicated pishposh and start speaking in long bombastic incomprehensible sentences.
and yknow what, I've noticed that the sentences I type are getting increasingly longer.
which is... omg.
and I found a new blog to read which is seriously side-splittingly hilarious.
it's one of those awful mean blogs, but written with so much wit and flair and humour, you can't quite help but be stuck on it.
I had a really nice conversation with Ian and Samuel yesterday.
very edifying and very, very clear.
and I wish I was taking some awesome, neat, fantastic, creative writing class and I can write whatever I want instead of.. legal writing.
boo hoo.
nevermind, I realised I like law more than I thought I would.
and one thing that keeps me going is the thought of all those law students who once felt like how I did but are now graduates waving that pretty scroll of a degree and working as practising lawyers!!
I'll be that one day.
with the impending due date of my assignment, 20 plus background articles have been heaped upon me to read, ingest and analyse.
and they all look something like this
Mechanical jurisprudence was regarded as an antiquarian methodology geared to perpetuating the myth that legal reasoning was autonomous from the economy and political ideology.
firstly, what the heck is antiquarian?!
and I'm not quite sure what mechanical jurisprudence means but I'm assuming that is traditional legalism.
actually, the sentence on its own is semi-decent.
but when you have 200-odd pages worth of articles which all look similar to this, and the words all squished together in extremely long sentences, after a while everything sorta swims and switches around and suddenly all the words look replaceable for each other and all you want to do is go gaah!!! al;kdjfal;kdsj!!!!!!!! &*(6W7836!!!!!!! and maybe rip the papers apart with satisfaction.
during a background introduction lecture to the common law system, my lecturer said that the intention of a common law was so that people had a simple framework of rules and laws to abide by and to which they could settle disputes.
but he said that the irony of this is that with the aim to have a 'simple' framework of laws, it inevitably became complicated.
now, hoooow annoying is that?
I just hope that in the years to come, I don't get embroiled in the whole mishmash of pompous complicated pishposh and start speaking in long bombastic incomprehensible sentences.
and yknow what, I've noticed that the sentences I type are getting increasingly longer.
which is... omg.
and I found a new blog to read which is seriously side-splittingly hilarious.
it's one of those awful mean blogs, but written with so much wit and flair and humour, you can't quite help but be stuck on it.
I had a really nice conversation with Ian and Samuel yesterday.
very edifying and very, very clear.
and I wish I was taking some awesome, neat, fantastic, creative writing class and I can write whatever I want instead of.. legal writing.
boo hoo.
nevermind, I realised I like law more than I thought I would.
and one thing that keeps me going is the thought of all those law students who once felt like how I did but are now graduates waving that pretty scroll of a degree and working as practising lawyers!!
I'll be that one day.
I hope..?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home