Monday, January 07, 2008

I've been on a bit of a tv and book rampage these last few days. I've polished two and half out of the three books that I bought last Thursday, I've armed myself with three new boxes of dvds to tide me through the lonely month in Brisbane before uni starts, and I've been getting re-acquainted with my old love Hana Yori Dango, although I am mysteriously missing disc 9. Watching Hana Yori Dango again has got me embarrassingly yearning for the somewhat ill-acted but incredibly compelling Meteor Garden series because I am finding it difficult reading the chinese subtitles as quickly as the characters spit out the dialogue in Japanese. I've scoured most shops which told me that they don't carry the series anymore. Ebay was going to be my last-ditch attempt at procuring it, when I found season 2 hidden in a small dingy dvd store near Raffles Place! Cel thinks season 2 is awful as she cannot stand a certain actress, but I rather liked season 2 because I am a fan of quiet, aloof but caring boys, so GO HUA ZE LEI! Yay for season 2. I am going to drown myself in television euphoria tonight.

Ok, end of embarrassing girly rant~

In other tv news, I am still horribly stuck at episode 6 for both Gossip Girl and Heroes. I want to watch them so much that I even subjected myself to spoiler torture by googling Gossip Girl recaps. So now I know the gist of episodes 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12. That's desperation at it's worst. If you have the episodes, tell me!

I finished Shopaholic and Baby and The Kite Runner over the weekend. And now I'm halfway through Magaret Atwood's Moral Disaster which hasn't disappointed so far. I bought an old copy of The Blind Assassin in November because I simply couldn't remember anything about it when I read it five years ago. I figured owning my own copy would help conjure the plot and story. So far everyone I know who's read it, has waxed lyrical about it. But I don't remember what so compelling or riveting because it has completely slipped my memory. I don't remember a thing. So once I'm done with Moral Disaster, I will tackle The Blind Assassin again. And hopefully this time, my brain honed and developed with time, will be able house the novel for all it's worth. Then I'll decide again whether I liked it or not.

Reading all these books makes me feel like a terrible writer. I can string a sentence and make it sound halfway decent, but I don't think I say very much with my words. If my words have ever stitched a heart, nudged a soul, pricked a laugh, then perhaps all my words haven't gone to waste.

I was just thinking what I would do in that month of solitude in Brisbane. Perhaps solitude is too harsh and remote a word, but without my family and even some of my Brisbane friends, solitude doesn't seem so unfamiliar. I've decided that I'll use that time to do the things I love the most. Other than running disc after disc of television euphoria, I will read the Bible more, write more, play more guitar, write songs. After that one song I wrote, my creative juices have come to a standstill. Maybe I haven't had time, I haven't had the inspiration. But I do want to use that one month, free from schedules, free from work, to hone myself.

In the meantime, I want to go home and curl up with a book. Then run episode after episode of Meteor Garden til I fall asleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home