I still remember how I spent the new year in 2007. I ushered in the new year at church with Laura and Celene. Then we spent the rest of the night couched in the darkness of Laura's car, pigging on chicken nuggets and sharing our resolutions and allowing our smallest and saddest sides of ourselves to show. I vaguely remember slumping over in the backseat, tearing a little.
This year wasn't very different. I ushered in the new year at church with Laura and Celene and we shared our little bouts of emo-ness with each other. Then we spent the next two hours pigging out on sambal stingray and sugarcane juice. I headed to Gab's party after, where everyone was surprisingly sober. Then I went home feeling a little pinch of melancholia in my heart and the rest of the night was caught in a bad, vivid dream involving dead child ghosts only I could see, betrayal and abandonment, ending in a wild chase. I woke up disconcerted and unnerved.
The first day of the new year ran by pretty eventfully. It started with the bad dream, followed by kissing Cass goodbye at the airport, and a dinner with the extended family without my parents. And this is where the trauma starts:
I was half-asleep in the car and we pulled up on our driveway. I got out of the passenger seat and greeted a yapping Smokey who was on my left. Like a bad dream, when I turned to my right, there was a breathing black Rottweiler right next to me. I thought I was still caught in a dream when I asked Who's dog is this?!
And everything happened so fast after: Smokey barking, the Rottweiler growling, then somehow they ended up at the other side of the patio. I could vaguely hear my sister commanding me to Pick Smokey up, now! I was about to run and pick my ittle dog up when I saw the Rottweiler salivate and do the territorial walk around and my heart was thudding, sick with fear, when I saw Smokey cower and become very, very still. I could still hear my sister screaming Shumin, get Smokey!
I don't know how it happened but Smokey very fluidly spun around and ran behind me where my sister swiftly picked him up. And the Rottweiler started going to my sister, jumping up on her and foaming at the mouth. She told me to hold on to the dog, and I've never handled a Rottweiler before, especially not one that's going after my poor dog, so I grabbed it by the collar but the dog was too strong for me, and started dragging me forward and turning around to growl at me. And I very stupidly tried commanding it to Sit! and obviously it didn't listen to me.
My sister started screaming for help at the top of her lungs while I ran out of the house shouting Who's dog is this?! and thankfully the neighbours started rushing out to help us, even though no one dared handle the dog, so the Rottweiler was still excitedly trying to clamber up my sis and get Smokey. I was so relieved when the owner came running in, telling us that he was sorry but his dog ran out of the house without their knowledge. And my poor, brave sister, half in shock and relief, crouched on the floor and started sobbing. We really thought our dog was going to die, especially after our relatives were telling us about a recent case where a Rottweiler killed a family's 7 month old baby. I mean compare Smokey and the Rottweiler, Smokey stands no chance, especially since Smokey isn't very friendly towards other dogs.
What a way to start the new year! Thank God no one was hurt, especially Smokey!
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
Hebrews 12:1-3
These verses spoke to me over the new year. It reminds me of school; sweaty track meets, the grueling ten rounds, cheers and sweet euphoria. It has shown me with accountability and encouragement, I need to throw off all hindrances and run with perseverance. And most of all, it has shown me that my Coach Jesus Christ, is not only the author but also the perfector of my faith, and I need to fix my eyes on Him always, I need to exercise my muscle of faith. I remember how I felt everytime, after I finished the ten rounds well, when my coach smiled in approval, when I felt that sweet ache stinging my limbs, and I know this is how I want to finish the race with Christ til we're in heaven :)
This year wasn't very different. I ushered in the new year at church with Laura and Celene and we shared our little bouts of emo-ness with each other. Then we spent the next two hours pigging out on sambal stingray and sugarcane juice. I headed to Gab's party after, where everyone was surprisingly sober. Then I went home feeling a little pinch of melancholia in my heart and the rest of the night was caught in a bad, vivid dream involving dead child ghosts only I could see, betrayal and abandonment, ending in a wild chase. I woke up disconcerted and unnerved.
The first day of the new year ran by pretty eventfully. It started with the bad dream, followed by kissing Cass goodbye at the airport, and a dinner with the extended family without my parents. And this is where the trauma starts:
I was half-asleep in the car and we pulled up on our driveway. I got out of the passenger seat and greeted a yapping Smokey who was on my left. Like a bad dream, when I turned to my right, there was a breathing black Rottweiler right next to me. I thought I was still caught in a dream when I asked Who's dog is this?!
And everything happened so fast after: Smokey barking, the Rottweiler growling, then somehow they ended up at the other side of the patio. I could vaguely hear my sister commanding me to Pick Smokey up, now! I was about to run and pick my ittle dog up when I saw the Rottweiler salivate and do the territorial walk around and my heart was thudding, sick with fear, when I saw Smokey cower and become very, very still. I could still hear my sister screaming Shumin, get Smokey!
I don't know how it happened but Smokey very fluidly spun around and ran behind me where my sister swiftly picked him up. And the Rottweiler started going to my sister, jumping up on her and foaming at the mouth. She told me to hold on to the dog, and I've never handled a Rottweiler before, especially not one that's going after my poor dog, so I grabbed it by the collar but the dog was too strong for me, and started dragging me forward and turning around to growl at me. And I very stupidly tried commanding it to Sit! and obviously it didn't listen to me.
My sister started screaming for help at the top of her lungs while I ran out of the house shouting Who's dog is this?! and thankfully the neighbours started rushing out to help us, even though no one dared handle the dog, so the Rottweiler was still excitedly trying to clamber up my sis and get Smokey. I was so relieved when the owner came running in, telling us that he was sorry but his dog ran out of the house without their knowledge. And my poor, brave sister, half in shock and relief, crouched on the floor and started sobbing. We really thought our dog was going to die, especially after our relatives were telling us about a recent case where a Rottweiler killed a family's 7 month old baby. I mean compare Smokey and the Rottweiler, Smokey stands no chance, especially since Smokey isn't very friendly towards other dogs.
What a way to start the new year! Thank God no one was hurt, especially Smokey!
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
Hebrews 12:1-3
These verses spoke to me over the new year. It reminds me of school; sweaty track meets, the grueling ten rounds, cheers and sweet euphoria. It has shown me with accountability and encouragement, I need to throw off all hindrances and run with perseverance. And most of all, it has shown me that my Coach Jesus Christ, is not only the author but also the perfector of my faith, and I need to fix my eyes on Him always, I need to exercise my muscle of faith. I remember how I felt everytime, after I finished the ten rounds well, when my coach smiled in approval, when I felt that sweet ache stinging my limbs, and I know this is how I want to finish the race with Christ til we're in heaven :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home