A week of work has passed and I'm relatively unscathed. Other than the fact that working is like what I imagined drowning to be like - trepidacious, constricting and a blind claw for breath - it's passed by relatively smoothly.
I suppose this being my first job ever, working feels like I've been thrown into the throes of real life, which ironically, feels like a dream. I keep thinking this is merely an extended dream of stuffy work clothes and flurried deals and transactions, and a month later I will wake up and resume my real life. And then it hit me that this is no dream because surreal as it feels, once I graduate, this will be my life for the rest of my life and I felt sick to my stomach. Because ever since I started work, I've felt woefully inadequate and substandard, and it doesn't even seem distinctly plausible that in five years, I'd be fully equipped to be a knowledgeable and practicing lawyer.
Despite all my childish fears, I'm having a good time learning. Getting my hands on real work makes our tutorials and my crappy grades look puerile and irrelevant. I've tried amending and drafting things, read through deals which sounded like gibberish to me, and truthfully, I do feel awed running my fingers over and through the pages of the files because it just seems so beyond me that someday, I would be flipping through those pages, knowing exactly what I need to do.
Praise God because I've met some really lovely people there! My fellow interns are all international (two from China, two from Indonesia and one from India, plus one pre-law Singaporean) and they're such down-to-earth and funny people, it makes work more bearable. I've also met some really nice lawyers/legal consultants and struck up a really good conversation with one of them about God and prayer and it reaffirmed how much God has blessed me with and how He is working in my life and those around me. Soooo, lots to pray about for work and the people at work!
I haven't done very much this week other than work and trying to squeeze meeting people in. I feel very pressed for time and sometimes all I want to do is hide under the covers and sleep because I've never felt more sleep-deprived in my life. Sometimes I wonder if people enjoy the conversations that they have with me; have I been too pushy, have I been too boring, have I been neglecting the salt and grace that the Bible commands be in my conversation... have I been practising gentleness and love of the fruit of the Spirit?
Anyway, I think I'm getting used to the sound of my guitar. And I bought two packs of strings today: one light strings and one custom light. And they were so much more expensive than the extra light ones I bought. Somehow, alot of money flowed out of my pocket today and I didn't even really buy anything.
I suppose this being my first job ever, working feels like I've been thrown into the throes of real life, which ironically, feels like a dream. I keep thinking this is merely an extended dream of stuffy work clothes and flurried deals and transactions, and a month later I will wake up and resume my real life. And then it hit me that this is no dream because surreal as it feels, once I graduate, this will be my life for the rest of my life and I felt sick to my stomach. Because ever since I started work, I've felt woefully inadequate and substandard, and it doesn't even seem distinctly plausible that in five years, I'd be fully equipped to be a knowledgeable and practicing lawyer.
Despite all my childish fears, I'm having a good time learning. Getting my hands on real work makes our tutorials and my crappy grades look puerile and irrelevant. I've tried amending and drafting things, read through deals which sounded like gibberish to me, and truthfully, I do feel awed running my fingers over and through the pages of the files because it just seems so beyond me that someday, I would be flipping through those pages, knowing exactly what I need to do.
Praise God because I've met some really lovely people there! My fellow interns are all international (two from China, two from Indonesia and one from India, plus one pre-law Singaporean) and they're such down-to-earth and funny people, it makes work more bearable. I've also met some really nice lawyers/legal consultants and struck up a really good conversation with one of them about God and prayer and it reaffirmed how much God has blessed me with and how He is working in my life and those around me. Soooo, lots to pray about for work and the people at work!
I haven't done very much this week other than work and trying to squeeze meeting people in. I feel very pressed for time and sometimes all I want to do is hide under the covers and sleep because I've never felt more sleep-deprived in my life. Sometimes I wonder if people enjoy the conversations that they have with me; have I been too pushy, have I been too boring, have I been neglecting the salt and grace that the Bible commands be in my conversation... have I been practising gentleness and love of the fruit of the Spirit?
Anyway, I think I'm getting used to the sound of my guitar. And I bought two packs of strings today: one light strings and one custom light. And they were so much more expensive than the extra light ones I bought. Somehow, alot of money flowed out of my pocket today and I didn't even really buy anything.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home