We sat around the tennis courts after lunch today watching Lisa's friend's little brother play tennis and I felt that pinch of longing of playing competitive sport again; even though I hated squash so much towards the end.
I think it was the whole atmosphere. Scorching sun, boys and girls in colour coordinated team outfits and strewn rackets, a few parents and coaches milling around while the atmosphere is just thick with friendly competition and trepidation.
You know what? I miss that.
I think there's something about participating in competitive sport that, in the cheesiest sense possible, makes everything melt away and only one thing matter.
Or maybe it's the clear cut set of rules and regulations which make everything pristinely black and white, and the one and only chance where I'm allowed to let the inner beast in me roar haha.
Team camaraderie, a single-minded goal, endorphins, winning, losing, whatever it is, I kinda miss it.
I haven't touched my racket in so long that I think I'm embarrassed to even play in public because I am very much certain that my drives are far from straight, my drops far from light and my stamina... well let's just say I get breathless from walking up a flight of stairs.
But I don't mind turning back time a couple of years: back to the time where we'd wear our colour coordinated team outfits and matching bags, wait in jittery anticipation for the line up sheets to come out (I loved and hated this part the most), cheer each other on and more importantly, play hard and know that we were all in it together.
They were good times :)
I think it was the whole atmosphere. Scorching sun, boys and girls in colour coordinated team outfits and strewn rackets, a few parents and coaches milling around while the atmosphere is just thick with friendly competition and trepidation.
You know what? I miss that.
I think there's something about participating in competitive sport that, in the cheesiest sense possible, makes everything melt away and only one thing matter.
Or maybe it's the clear cut set of rules and regulations which make everything pristinely black and white, and the one and only chance where I'm allowed to let the inner beast in me roar haha.
Team camaraderie, a single-minded goal, endorphins, winning, losing, whatever it is, I kinda miss it.
I haven't touched my racket in so long that I think I'm embarrassed to even play in public because I am very much certain that my drives are far from straight, my drops far from light and my stamina... well let's just say I get breathless from walking up a flight of stairs.
But I don't mind turning back time a couple of years: back to the time where we'd wear our colour coordinated team outfits and matching bags, wait in jittery anticipation for the line up sheets to come out (I loved and hated this part the most), cheer each other on and more importantly, play hard and know that we were all in it together.
They were good times :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home